Sunday, July 17, 2011

summer in the city

and here it is, my long overdue blog post. seeing how my last post was following boston marathon weekend it is probably time for an update?

where to start... I didn't register in time for the twin lights half marathon in order to secure a t-shirt, so I never registered at all and that plan fell by the wayside. It wasn't a horrible decision because kayla's graduation weekend was hectic enough without attempting to run my very first half as well.

summer is more than halfway over now and the majority of it has been spent in my somerville, ma apartment with the lovely paige begley, hostessing at the russell house tavern in harvard square, and working as an intern on the making strides against breast cancer walk of boston put on by the american cancer society. between the irregular schedules and sometimes late nights at russell house I haven't always been able to get in the best quality runs, but when I do I am often dodging cars and waiting for stoplights. more often than not it is during my runs that I find myself missing home the most.

living just across the charles from historic boston makes it hard not to imagine myself running boston someday (see previous post), but before boston must come a half marathon..and none other than the old port half marathon next sunday! I am beyond both nervous and excited to run my first half in one of my favorite places in maine, and I registered in time to receive the t-shirt which is always an added bonus. kayla reeves will be making the trek to the maine-lands to watch and I know that having her there will only mean positive things, as well as a guarantee of finish-line tears. I have a fresh playlist lined up for next week, a new pair of sneakers in an attempt to alleviate my recent knee pains...all that's left is my daunting 10-mile training run tonight and then a week of mid-distance runs before race day on sunday!

I am happy to be home this weekend for my last long run and I'm confident that running some of my favorite routes will give me the final inspiration and confidence I need to be prepared for next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment